Mozilla released the long awaited Firefox 1.5 today. (11.29.05) Firefox has been constantly growing popular as it is now a more powerful and safer browser than Microsoft Internet Explorer. This is a major update and everyone using previous versions should update when possible. Thunderbird is still at v1.07 and there are no signs of any major update yet. Firefox 1.5 will automatically take care of non-fuctioning extension issues and will disable them until an update is available. Mozilla has also re-designed their website and they are replacing the “Spread Firefox” site with a new marketing campaign called “Firefox Flicks”.
Full Firefox v1.5 Changelog:
- Automated update to streamline product upgrades. Notification of an update is more prominent, and updates to Firefox may now be half a megabyte or smaller. Updating extensions has also improved.
- Faster browser navigation with improvements to back and forward button performance.
- Drag and drop reordering for browser tabs.
- Improvements to popup blocking.
- Clear Private Data feature provides an easy way to quickly remove personal data through a menu item or keyboard shortcut.
- Answers.com is added to the search engine list.
- Improvements to product usability including descriptive error pages, redesigned options menu, RSS discovery, and “Safe Mode” experience.
- Better accessibility including support for DHTML accessibility and assistive technologies such as the Window-Eyes 5.5 beta screen reader for Microsoft Windows. Screen readers read aloud all available information in applications and documents or show the information on a Braille display, enabling blind and visually impaired users to use equivalent software functionality as their sighted peers.
- Report a broken Web site wizard to report Web sites that are not working in Firefox.
- Better support for Mac OS X (10.2 and greater) including profile migration from Safari and Mac Internet Explorer.
- Many security enhancements.
Link: Get Firefox 1.5 (mozilla.com)
More: Firefox Extensions Home
Related: Get Thunderbird 1.0.7
Recent Posts: PSP Firmware v1.60
Update: New Version Has Been Released
To update either go to Mozilla.com and download/install the latest version or if you have 1.5 already installed go to Help -> Check For Updates…
I really like Firefox it has been my favourite so far.