As predicted, today Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) has officially released firmware v3.00 for the PlayStation Portable (PSP). The new firmware has many major improvements however the notable ones include the ability to play PlayStation 1 games and communicate with the PlayStation 3. Another feature SCEA has finally added, which should have been included since 1.50, is the ability to disable automatic loading of UMDs, which saves the hassle of having to remove the game if you want to use any of the PSP’s other features. (Video demonstration below!)
PSP v3.00 Firmware Features:
- PlayStation Network titles are now supported under [Game].
- [Remote Play] has been added as a feature under [Network].
- [Online Instruction Manuals] has been added as a feature under [Network].
- Timed recording has been added as a feature under [RSS Channel].
- A visual player has been added as a feature under [Music].
- 3-speed fast forward and fast reverse has been added as a feature under [Music].
- [Camera] has been added as a feature under [Photo].
- [UMD Auto-Start] has been added as a feature in [System Settings] under [Settings].
One smart addition was in depth Online Instruction Manuals which covers almost every feature that the PSP offers. However I don’t know how useful it will be for the many PSP users who are still trying to get online via WiFi.
Another good feature is the timer for the “RSS Channel”. After setting any specific time, the PSP will turn itself on (even if completely off) and download the latest podcasts, photos, or videos from the feeds you have specified. The coolest feature added in v3.00 is probably the visualizations for the music playback. There are currently 5 different styles including a random feature which switches through the 5. The visualizations work for both content under Music and RSS Channel.
Of the features included in the update the PS1 game emulator is probably the most important, but there is no content available yet. We are unable to demonstrate “Remote Play” feature since we still haven’t received our PlayStation 3. Check back later for reviews of these features including a review of the PSP camera once it is released.
Notice: (11/22/06) Sony has just released second update v3.01. It consists of the exact same features as v3.00, except for “security enhancements”. We don’t know what this means, but do not update to 3.01. We have v3.00 available for download below. Just copy the EBOOT.PBP file into PSPGAMEUPDATE folder to update. We think that Sony might have left a hole to allow for homebrew on 3.00 so don’t upgrade any further unless you don’t care.
DOWNLOAD FILE REMOVED